Class of 1952 Helps Celebrate Class of 2017

Riverside’s sixty-sixth commencement was held Sunday, June 4, 2017, at Mentor Schools Fine Arts Center. Approximately 300 students received their diplomas. What makes the graduation significant is the date of the commencement. Riverside’s first graduation was for the class of 1952 and it was held 65 years ago on June 4. In recognition of this graduation three members of the class of 1952 led the class of 2017 and faculty into the auditorium. Participating were Howard Davis, James Hayer, and George Hadden. In addition the names of the class officers…

Read More

Walk Down The Halls of Ivy

Submitted by Mary Zmecek-Lette The Halls of Ivy Recently a friend and I had an opportunity to take a sentimental journey through the halls of Riverside High School. We wandered alone – and even though the building was relatively empty, felt and heard noises and voices from years gone by. On the wall in one of the hallways we saw this verse: “There are those whose lives affect all others around them, quietly touching one heart Who in turn touches another, reaching out to ends further than they would ever know.”…

Read More

The First Beaver

The Man Behind the First Beaver Artwork When Riverside High School opened in 1949, the school district was starting with a clean slate. School colors, along with a mascot, needed to be chosen. Finally after much thought, research, and contests among the students, faculty and staff, it was announced on December 20, 1949, that the “Beaver” would be the mascot for Riverside. The first Beaver was drawn by Charles “Chick” Dickinson. The cover on the first yearbook, which was published in 1952, contained a drawing of that Beaver and continued…

Read More

Quick History of Riverside

In 1944 a resolution was passed by the Painesville Township Local Board of Education to build a new combined high school and junior high school. Previous to this time, students in this area had attended high schools in neighboring sections.Because of World War II and the accompanying building shortages, the actual construction was postponed until 1948. The fall session of September, 1949, opened with seventh, eighth, and ninth graders in attendance. In the following school year the enrollment increased to include the tenth and eleventh grades. All six grades were…

Read More